Monday, July 28, 2008

Fantasy advice from the Fantasy-aholic

Me: Hi everybody My Name is Sean, and I am a fantasy-football-aholic

Group: Hi Sean!

Me: I don't think I actually need to be here, I'm just here because my girlfriend made me.

Group: (in unison) Denial.

Mediator: Sean, why don't you explain to us why you actually came to us.

Me: Ok, well here it goes...

You see I am what has been officially and medically diagnosed as a stage-5 Fantsy-Football-aholic, it's the highest stage you can be before they take away your personalized badass Team-names, and burn all your pre-draft ranking systems. It's awful, yet exhilarating.

You see -- some say my disease is a negative -- that it's affecting my personal hygiene,  made me a social outcast, and I'm no longer cool.

But, I want to turn my addiction to fantasy football into positive yardage. So for the next couple of weeks -- no matter what, whether I'm in the midst of my twenty-third live draft, or reading the latest fantasy alert -- I will do my best to bring you my inside knowledge, hopes, and outright ludacris opinions on the 2008 fantasy season.

"When is a good time to draft Brett Favre?" -- SexyJets99 
My friend, it's hard for me to say this, but I'll come out front. There isn't. If it's a backup you want, go ahead and take #4 in the fifteenth or sixteenth round. If you think Favre can still be a top rated QB, well then the choice is yours -- but remember that of all the teams who have permission or are rumored to be interested to have permission to talk to Favre -- only the Buccaneers made the playoffs last year.

If it's nostalgia you crave, Vinny Testaverde should still on the draft board (at # 1526)

"Should I draft a backup D/St?" -- VikingWarrior28
This one is a toughy. I am firm believer in that you should have at least one backup per position on your team with the exception of kicker. For reference see my chart at end of post.

The way I see it is you have two options -- either draft two defenses  or draft one defense, and then drop the weakest player off your bench when it's that teams bye week -- that's all I 
got.

If you draft two defenses make sure that the teams don't have the same bye week.

The second path is a little trickier. If you draft one D/St than you are forced to drop either the team or the weakest player off your bench if you plan on playing with a full squad. If you have a strong core of bench players this could be a tough decision, the final call is really up to you. 

I have played using both methods and have found them both to be beneficial.

Backups (minimums) :
1 Qb.
2-3 Rb.
2 Wr. 
1 Te.

Size of benches differ on a league-by-league basis. Play it smart, remember the RBs are the bread makers.

"How do you feel about Clinton Portis " -- DGreen4eva28
Same as I do every year, blinded by my unforgiving attitude,  after how he played in 2006 when I drafted him 5th overall. A personal vendetta if you will.

Other than that little PV of mine, I don't know what to say about Clinton Portis. ESPN ranked Portis as their 7th overall RB and 8th overall best player. To me that's hogwash, but who knows? That's the joy and pain of fantasy. 

Portis has been consistently inconsistent -- either he's putting up pro-bowl quality seasons -- or nursing himself on the sideline. 

In 2007 Portis rushed for 11 tds and 1,262 yards but fumbled six times, double the amount of times in the previous two seasons combined. However Southeast Jerome aka Choo! Choo! aka Dolemite Jenkins did play in all 16 games last season, something he's only accomplished three times in his six year career.


If the pattern continues Portis will play between 8-15 games -- taking a chance on him is high reward high risk -- and if you're going to live life on the edge try to draft Ladell Betts, a very capable backup who is likely to see playing time regardless if Portis stays healthy or not.

"Is it wrong of me to draft two stellar quarterbacks early and hold one as trade bait?" -- Pac-ManisWackMan
Fantasy football is like war. Hostage situations happen in warso by the transitive property of algebra they happen in fantasy.

It's a risky situation that could possibly alienate you from your friends who will most likely think of you as a little bitch afterward. But if pulled off correctly you could make a trade that will better your team and drain your opponents roster. 

If you're able to grab two 'stellar' quarterbacks than you could have a few teams at your mercy when the time comes. Play your cards right and you may be able to pluck one to two A-Level players off your enemies foxhole. 

Good luck to ya captain.




I need some coffee, let's take a five minute break. When we come back we'll discus rookie running backs, the Saints, QB competitions, Marvin Harrison and a whole lot more fantasy.

Do you have something you want to discuss? Is there something just boiling your brain? Can't decide between Selvin Young and Kevin Smith? Don't know who Selvin Young and Kevin Smith are? Then e-mail your inquiries sayoungberg@gmail.com -- bonus to getting your questions posted -- you get to come up with your own sweet nickname (i.e. Brady2Moss=hott)

Send your questions my way and let your fantasy worries and fears be taken care of.



Sean Youngberg is a journalism and sports communication major at James Madison University who is by no means an authorized Fantasy Football guru, and who at times fails again and again while trying to make witty comments.

He first began studying the art of Fantasy Football when he was in middle school, although he never really put any effort into it. He was an arrogant rookie who thought he could beat the dads he played against in his neighborhood.

But after three consecutive drafts when Youngberg couldn't have busted worse in the first round ('03 Ricky Williams, '04 Donovan McNabb,  and '05 Daunte Culpepper) he decided enough was enough and put his head in the game.

After a remarkable 2006 draft that featured Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Brian Westbrook and the Vikings Defense/ Special teams, Youngberg was able to capture his first Fantasy crown, in a victory he deemed as "life fufilling and morally uplifting."

He is not the author of any famous magazines and does not contain a press pass to any of the 32 NFL training camps, BUT he thinks he knows a thing or two about this sport and is willing to teach, if you are willing to at least pretend you are paying attention. 



 
 





No comments: